On 21 February 2023, the Australian Research Data Commons (ARDC) launched its Research Data Management Framework for Institutions. This is the culmination of almost 2 years’ work by over 100 experts. Data is central to modern research. How institutions, like universities, manage research data has direct impact on the effectiveness and impact of research and policy.
The ARDC is a National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS) facility, working across the country with Australian researchers. The ARDC Institutional Underpinnings Program Team had an ambitious project ahead of them: finalising their 150-page report and producing the associated communication and marketing material for a major in-person and online launch event and ongoing digital communication.
The ARDC needed professional communication services and event support to make the most of the launch opportunity.
They especially wanted to communicate the key messages about why this collaborative work has been so valuable. (Plus as a government-backed organisation, communicating about the impact of the almost $2 million-dollar investment and the countless hours of contributions from hundreds of staff across 25 university partners is important.)
Innovate Communicate consulted with the project and communication staff at the ARDC to determine the gaps and the project requirements (where we could best help). Innovate Communicate was contracted to provide specialist communication services and event support.
Working with ARDC over the project, Innovate Communicate led a number of strategic deliverables:
- Managing and delivering the graphic design for the 150-page Research Data Management Framework for Institutions.
- Writing a 4-page summary of the report for a policymaker audience (see image above).
- Producing supporting material including an article for the website and newsletter, YouTube description for the event video and cover letter for stakeholders.
- Creating social media (Twitter and LinkedIn) content while at the event (including imagery and the written captions).
- Supporting the in-person event including sourcing, briefing and managing a professional photographer. Claire also interviewed event attendees about the Framework and these snippets were included in the news article.
It was a blast to work with such dedicated, enthusiastic and fun people! Thank you ARDC for trusting Innovate Communicate with your project.
- Article written by Claire Harris: Research Data Management: Australian Universities on the Same Page.
- The full report: ARDC Ltd. (2023). Research Data Management Framework for Institutions (designed by Innovate Communicate, with guidance and template from ARDC).
I would highly recommend working with Innovate Communicate for their creative and effective approach to communication. Innovate Communicate managed the professional graphic design of the 150+ page report and Claire also wrote an accompanying brochure for a policymaker audience.
Claire’s help organising the communication outputs for the event as well as sourcing, briefing and directing the photographer means that we have quality content that we can use in multiple publications. I’m grateful for Claire’s helpful and friendly approach to engaging with our staff (including organising their photographs on the day) and creating content for our online and social channels.