National Science Week is Australia’s annual celebration of science and technology. Running each year in August, it features more than 1,000 events around Australia, delivered by all sorts of people from businesses (like Innovate Communicate), universities, schools, research institutions, libraries, museums and science centres.
Canberra has some incredible women working in initiatives that bridge science, tech, engineering and maths AND the arts. Canberra Women of Science and Art was all about showcasing them and the diverse careers and hobbies that anyone (of any age) can enjoy.
As part of the Canberra Women of Science and Art event, for National Science Week 2020, we created two events as well as a supporting Activity and Resources Kit and online content.
- As skilled media practitioners, we helped garner radio and digital promotion of the event to a large audience. We also leveraged direct connections to secure word-of-mouth referrals. A modest evaluation revealed we reached over 15,000 through digital and media.
- Over 160 people attended our events, which hit the spot with our target audience around key themes like careers, activism, environmental sustainability, technology, writing books, art and engaging with nature.
- Post-event survey results were positive, with key highlights including:
- they found the speakers interesting
- the webinars were a highlight
- they loved the Activity and Resources Kit, calling it a ‘great idea’
- they appreciated having the webinars available to re-visit or watch for the first time because they couldn’t make the live events
- they learned about and were interested in augmented reality and robots
- they want to see the event run again next year.
Read the full evaluation of Canberra Women of Science and Art (2020)
A great event that was well organised and covered interesting material. Our daughter was engaged throughout the whole session and participated in the activities and competition.